Monday, May 19, 2008

The Adventure Begins

So I think what Jimmy said about battling to stay awake implied that we were winning that battle... we weren't. We looked like the walking dead, sauntering down the streets of Kolkata in our American clothing styles looking like, well, a bunch of foreigners. So far everything is much better than I expected, with an air conditioned room that actually stays cool! It's pretty hot and humid, but also not as bad as I thought it would be. The air is breathable (not much worse than LA, which I guess isn't much of a standard...), and it gets somewhat cool at night. What I have found to be funny, however, are the things we take for granted in the USA that we never even think about as luxuries. We got cold water with our lunch today, which was AMAZING. Normally, all of the water is room temperature. We get a fair amount of tea as well, which is also hot, but very good. I'll have to bring some back with me, as I am very much a tea enthusiast over coffee.

Now to business. We start tomorrow at the Mother Theresa homes at 8 A.M. to 12 P.M., then again from 3 P.M. to 5 P.M. There are several different voluneer homes, which were described to us, then each team member got to choose which shifts at which homes to volunteer at. I have chosen Prem Dan in the morning, which is basically a hospital for the sick, and Kalighat, the house for the dying and destitute, for the afternoon shift. Hopefully my other teammates will put where they are going and what each home's description is. There are a few orphanages, only one of which men are allowed to work at. Anywho, wish us luck as we set out for our first day of work!

-Loren

3 comments:

meghanjanssen said...

It is so good to at last get an update! I'm so glad that you all made it there safely, even if you are still groggy from the time zone change. I'll be praying for all you guys and the people that you interact with and come in contact with at the Mother Theresa homes!

Anonymous said...

I am also so very enthused to know you are there! I got a message from Jena this morning which was Amazing (I miss her)!
I am excited for you to get to serve the poorest of the poor, the marginalized the destitute and the dying and look into there eyes and have a chance to utter the beautiful word, namaste. I realize I have no idea what is is like to be there but I have great hope that IAM will provide you with all the faith, hope and love you need to live, not just exist but live, while you are embracing the culture and the people through serving, and enjoying the richness and fullness of wherever you(Plural) may go.

Peace and Love!

Carpenters said...

Yeah team! I will be on a plane with the Bhutan team in about 36 hours... wow! Can't wait to see y'all and to be blessed in God's service. May our Father of grace grant you each new strength which wells up from within your soul as you look with hope and joy when others can only see despair and pain. See you very soon, everyone here prays for you! Adam.