Thursday, May 22, 2008

Daya Dan

So Haera, Katie, and I are working at Daya Dan, which is a home for disabled children. For me at least, these are my favorite kids because they have such a passion and contentment for life. I have worked with these kids last summer at a camp so I have a pretty good idea of how to work with them. Well in Daya Dan, lets just say that it is the complete opposite of that. Being a nursing major, a understand a lot the physical limitations that many of these children have. Unfortunantely, the hired helped called the masis' are not as accepting or willing to work with those limitations. Watching some of the children have food shoved down there throat makes me so angry and powerless. There is not much I can do about this so I am working on trusting the power of God's love and healing for these children. I know that his heart is breaking as well and I just need to trust that he is in control of the situation. On the positive side, we did actually have a sweet techno party with the kids! All of the kids were dancing and laughing...it was absolutely beautiful. It is in these situations that you remember that these kids are still being loved and are more fortunate right now then they would be on the streets. It is so evident that God is stretching our team right now in so many ways and I know for myself it is to learn that God has the more power than medicine and knowlede to heal his loved ones.
Please continue to be in prayer for us that God will shape our hearts into ones that are completely obedient to his will for our life.
Mandy

2 comments:

bruised not broken said...

I miss Daya Dan so much! I was on the India June mission team two years ago and worked with Daya Dan in the morning and some afternoons. If you see some of the younger kids (they are about 6 years old now): Binoy, Joy, and Joakim give them a hug for me. I am guessing that they are still there. There are a lot of prayers going out for you and the team as you continue serving God's children throughout Kolkata. God bless!
-Alicia Apple

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I can see you working in this arena. Know that you are in my prayers every day on this adventure. I know that God will bless your efforts.
Love you, Cindy