Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prem Dan

Alright, so Prem Dan. It's split up into a guy's side and a girl's side, where guy and girl volunteers work, respectively. Corey, Natalie, and Ashley go here as well, though I'm the only team IndiaBang guy, so I'll describe where I work assuming that it's about the same for them. We meet at the Mother House in the morning (7 if you're just meeting for breakfast, 6 if you're going to mass), then we say the Physician's Prayer, sing a song, and go on our merry way. The bus to Prem Dan is right across the street and is about a 5 minute bus ride. Prem Dan is located near a slum, so there are lots of very poor people around the sidewalk and streets. The first day, a gal in front of me was walking with her water bottle loosely in her hand, and a kid came and snatched it right from her and ran away. Once inside, girls and guys split up. i drop off my things in the volunteer room, and first thing is to wash clothes. This takes around a half hour and consists of several volunteers in an assembly line, washing, rinsing, and hanging clothes to dry. Next is sweeping and washing the floors of the place. Next is a fifteen minute break, then back to work to feed everyone. I met a man from Germany named Helmut, who I think is a doctor. He had me feed someone with epilepsy. And I'm running out of time so I have to go, but that's about it. After this we're done for the afternoon and head back home. More to come later.

-Loren

3 comments:

Owen said...

Blessings, prayers, and radical anointing of the kingdom of God.

Owen

Judi Colson said...

Thanks for taking the time to share your journey! Hope you are all staying healthy and well!

Blessings,
Judi

Anonymous said...

Loren- So glad to visualize you and your friends journey and experiences. Thanks for sharing. It is impressive work you are all doing. Russann