Saturday, June 7, 2008

It's our last day!

Wow it has already been 22 days here in Kolkata!!! I really can't believe that today is our last day here; time sure has flown by. Even with all the challenges of heat and culture shock it has been an amazing journal thus far. At Daya Dan I worked primarily with the more physically disabled children. In the mornings we would brake off from the rest of the kids and would start with a little meditation time and then sing a few good morning songs. The kids were so cute and lively. Then we would do stretches.


My primary focus was on a little boy named Obejit (sp). He is severely handicapped. Obejit can't stand or walk or even sit up on his own yet. I say yet because I believe he has the full potential to do so some day. When I started working with him his legs were always crossed and bent, his arms were bent as well, his hands couldn't fully open, his hips were pretty twisted, and he would always be looking off to the side. Obejit also does not talk. After working three weeks with him he has shown great improvement. Now his legs are never crossed, he sits better in his chair, he can straighten out his arms and legs, he can open up his hands, and his hips are a little less twisted. He has also become more socially engaged, and by that I mean he make more eye contact and noises. It has been very encouraging to see him improve so quickly. A few days ago I held him up so he could stand on his feet and he gave me the biggest smile I have ever seen him give. I'm excited about the continual growth he has in his future. So that has been a snap shot of what I have experience here in Kolkata.


I'm so excited to see what the Lord has in store for us in Bangladesh. e

1 comment:

Holiday's Review said...

That is beautiful! Thank you and the rest of the Team for sharing your stories along the way! It has been so great to get to experience G-d's work along the way! I look forward to hearing all about your work and How the eyes to your hearts have been opened. I continually pray for strength, courage, compassion, boldness, perseverance, grace, Love, Hope and Faith. May they abound over Team IndiaBang! and may you continually be apart of G-d's story and bring his Kingdom here!!
Blessing and Praise to our glorious father in heaven!

Ian